My First Day

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On my first official day as a stay-at-home-mom, I did the following:

1. Woke with Noah at 7:30 am
2. Fed him and myself (breastmilk for him, Lucky Charms for me)
3. Took a 45 minute walk around my lovely, shady neighborhood with Noah in the mei-tai sling

4. Came home and changed him into his clothes for the day, then played a bit in his room (books and stacking rings)

5. Sang him a few songs and put him down for his morning nap at 9:30am
6. Jumped in the shower
7. When I got finished, I heard Noah crying... obviously his nap wasn't "sticking" at the moment so I got him out of his crib and let him play in the kitchen floor with measuring cups and funnels while I blended baked peaches into baby food puree and froze it into cubes.

8. The food processor scared Noah, so I consoled him by letting him try the peaches for the first time. He LOVED them.
9. 10:10 am- I finished my food stuff and re-did the naptime routine with Noah. This time, it stuck and he napped.
10. During his nap I: put on makeup, did the dishes, surfed the internet, made some phone calls, did two loads of laundry, and played on the internet a bit more.
11. When he woke at 11:30, I packed him and myself up and we headed out to a play date with my friend Liesl and her son Ian. We stopped at the store first to pick up some fruit and dessert for our outing.
12. From 12:30-1:45, we hung out at Liesl's house, had lunch, talked shop, and kept the boys from poking each other's eyes out in curiosity.
13. Noah and I left when he started getting cranky, and we headed home to put him down for his afternoon nap.
14. From 2:30-4:10, Noah napped. I did too. (so did Joe, who had been sleeping since he got home from work this morning at 7:30 am. It was a quiet, sleeping house this afternoon. I LOVED it.)
15. 4:10- Noah woke and Joe took over for a bit. I switched the laundry again, started dinner, and played a bit with my boys.
16. We did the evening routine together-- (Noah's dinner of veggies and cereal, his bathtime, and his bedtime) then had a quick kiss goodbye as Joe headed back to work.
17. For the evening, then, I have been working on editing photos, with little breaks here and there.
18. Noah has already woken once, which is unusual for him, and he wouldn't settle himself back down... I really think his teeth are bothering him. Poor guy. So I nursed him, though he most definitely didn't NEED food, because it comforted him enough to help him get back to sleep when I laid him back down.
19. And here I am... procrastinating bedtime, feeling satisfied, enjoying this little bit of "me time", and looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.
20. And I have to end with three of the cutest photos I've taken in a while. Because he is the best thing in my life right now, and I am loving being his mama:

And that concludes my report.


  1. I miss my little nephew- I hope you guys can make it into town this weekend!

    It's fun to see you and Joe and Noah in the "new family" phase- Tamara and I are seeing more and more examples of the goods and bads of parenting, it's good to see such an awesome example of the former in you and your family!

    Love you, sis!

  2. Ohmilord, SHUT UP! Those pictures made me giggle, then squeal, then TOTALLY laugh out loud.

    See you in a few hours, lovies!

    (and thanks for the update! I find that being home makes it more difficult to blog, since I'm not staring at a comp. all day at work. I'm glad to know that's not the case for you! Then again, you always were better at this stuff than I...)

  3. welcome to the world of at-home moms!

    so now that you're home we need to get together! soon! next week? email me!

    did you get the stacker at target? love it.

    and that last photo is awesome.

  4. Your first day sounds so wonderful! I am thoroughly jealous!!

    And OMG, Noah gets cuter and cuter by the minute!!!

  5. What a wonderful first day!! I hope they're all that good! Live the SAHM mom life well for all of us :)

    Also, those pictures are adorable!! He's got such a great little personality!

  6. Does that mean you don't have to go back to work? Isn't being at home with the babe the very best. It's these moments that make it all worth it!!

  7. You should be the spokesperson for being a stay-at-home parent. You make it sound so enticing. And I love that last picture. It makes me laugh.

  8. ahh, what a perfect 'first day' to kick off your new life as a SAHM. love the pics too--that onesie, and the kid wearing it, are both adorable. :)

  9. Sounds like a very productive day, how wonderful. The pictures of Noah are adorable, but the last one is to die for.

  10. Sounds wonderful (so do the peaches :-)

    I second Steven's opinion about the "goods" of parenting being exemplified in your little family.

    Thanks, as always, for sharing!

  11. So glad that you are enjoying the new role, but there is a part of my heart breaking knowing that we won't be working together! We must make plans to get together...and get together often!!

    Noah is too cute!!

  12. sounds all too wonderful! I still have another day to go (and then some before I'm TOTALLY at home). I give you MAJOR props for having the courage to do what is right.

    Enjoy it!

  13. Those pictures are so great. His hair is cracking me up. Glad you are happy being home.

  14. So precious! Seriously!

  15. Sounds like a perfect day. So glad you get to be home. And that last picture kills me!

  16. 1) Congratulations on an awesome first day at your new gig!

    2) He is adorable. As is his onesie. I love it!

  17. Noah is such a little cutie!! And I SO wish I had your photography skills!!!! I hope I come to St. Louis SOME DAY so we can get Noah and Riley together.....I think they would make a very cute couple!

  18. The last photo looks like Noah is singing a high note!

  19. I want to live in your DH misses greenery like that.


CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan