Slider

I Promised you Cupcakes...

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

and since I can't give them to you in person, we'll just have to settle for the pictures. Here's what I've been baking in the last month.

1. Spring Cupcakes: yellow cake mix with Mom's buttercream frosting in vanilla and chocolate. Peanut M&Ms for accents.



{the cake stand I gave Mom for her birthday. I kind of want it back now.}


2. Spice Cakes: Spice cake mix and three different icings! The white icing is coconut cream cheese, the light pink icing is my sis-in-law Mary's strawberry cream cheese glaze, and r=the carrots and pumpkins are traditional buttercream. (I went with the carrot and pumpkin motif because spice cake is similar to pumpkin bread and carrot cake... And I didn't know how to easily illustrate "spice" atop these lil' cakes.)




3. Cloud Cakes: a strawberry swirled butter cake from scratch with a funky fluffy frosting made from egg whites, vanilla, and sugar. Hand-colored light pink sugar dust. (Fun to make, but kinda boring to eat. The cake tasted more like a muffin--which is good, but NOT a cupcake-type experience-- and the frosting was a bit bland and hardened into a shell by day two. Well, it was worth a try!)


4. Sassy Cupcakes: Made with my friend Kimra while both of us neared the end of our maternity leaves, we both needed the cheerful comfort of cupcakes to get us through. Angel food cake with buttercream. (Note: this sounded tasty in theory, but the reality of heavy buttercream on light angel food was a bit too sweet and overpowering. Lesson learned. And they LOOK fun!)



...and there you have it. In between buying the amazing cuppys from our neighborhood shop, I've managed to make (and eat...oops.) a LOT of yummy cupcakes. I am pretty tickled with my new hobby, and don't plan on putting up the apron anytime soon. Come on over and we'll make another fun batch!

16 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those are pretty.

    Isn't it funny sometimes how the ones that look the coolest aren't as good to eat? I have come up with some pretty weird combinations. . .

    I especially love the easter ones. the way you did the nest frosting is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! I love how pretty they are!! And carrot cake is my fav so nice choice on the carrot/pumpkin! What a cute hobby. ( noah will appreciate that not to long from now!! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I order these? My mouth is watering. I so wish I lived close because I love baking and it is even more fun with a friend and making such cute cupcakes. I love your new hobby, I just wish I could eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Careful w/ dishing out the invitations. I'm totally going to show up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking my jaw up off of the floor!! These are amazing! My faves are the nests! Genius I say! What day should we do the party?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want some cloud cupcakes. They look super yummy :o) And I LOVE the bird's nest one's!! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay stupid me. At first I just looked at the pictures and skimmed over the words. I just now read what you wrote about the cloud cupcakes ... don't want one so much anymore. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:28 AM

    Those nests prove (if there was any doubt) that you are our mother's daughter :-)

    Sigh... wish I could come over for some cupcake fun. Thanks for the pictures at least.

    Love you

    JULINA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love the photos--so darling. My favorites are the little eggs in the nests!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just did a painting of a birds nest with blue eggs in it. I have been craving this... but only these cupcakes can really fulfill my craving.... How delightful! I am inspired. If only Paul weren't on a diet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok, *THIS* is why I ordered Nutrisystem yesterday - I'm sure just looking at those put weight on my hips, lol.

    Seriously, though...who doesn't love a good cupcake...yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly, with a new baby, how do you find time for this? I'd probably be able to muster the energy and desire for one good batch and call it good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my pants got tighter as I salivated over these wonderful photos! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you need to open a cupcake shop. i am serious. you should do it. joe could run it and you could be the inspiration behind it. you could even take little noah to work. DO IT

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan