Slider

books, books, books

Thursday, August 10, 2006

i love these little bundles of words and images... love them.

[one of my bookshelves at home... in the dining room]

as an English teacher, i have the rare opportunity of telling people all the many marvelous things i love about literature and nonfiction... and i get to recommend all kinds of great reads to people.
i am a book junkie. shelves and shelves full o' them...

so let me share a snippet i read today from one of my new discoveries (old book, newly loved by me)... From Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift From the Sea:

"...How one hates to think of oneself as alone. How one avoids it...We seem so frightened today of being alone that we never let it happen. Even if family, friends, and movies should fail, there is still the radio or television to fill up the void...Even day-dreaming was more creative than this; it demanded something of oneself and it fed the inner life. Now, instead of planting our solitude with our own dream blossoms, we choke the space with continuous music, chatter, and companionship to which we do not even listen...
We must re-learn to be alone."
-pages 41-42

I love it. I connect with this idea so very much. I forget how much I grow in my "alone-times" until they are nearly forced upon me.... Then i revel in them and try to remember to do it more often. Then forget again, and the cycle goes on and on.

Anyway. I'm rambling. Read this book.... it's my new treasure.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely pics Em, I would love to photograph around Europe, you've got to show more.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan