Slider

Five For Friday: Stuck At Home/"Trio" Poem Edition

Friday, April 3, 2015

Five For Friday: 
All The Kids Are Home And Stuck Here Since Lucy Is Potty Training Edition





TRIO
by Sarah Dunning Park

(pianissimo) Mama, 
pretend I'm a butterfly
named Lyla, a little
purple butterfly who
lives among the 
(mezzo-forte) Mommy, 
I learned the coolest
thing! We made it in
school today and you
need to come see how
(fortissimo) MAMA!
I NEED YOU NOW, 
RIGHT HERE AT THE
POTTY! (continuing 
in counterpoint)
Mom Mom Mom, 
come see, I'm gonna try
MAMA! I NEED TO BE
then get pollen, Mama, and fly
WIPED NOW! Mom, 
I folded on these lines
WIPE ME, MOMMY!
to my nest up high, 
actually now I'm a bird
named Ly--- (crecendo)
MAMA! I. AM. POOPY!
---la; chicka-dee-dee
-DEE Watch out, Mommy, 
watch out, here comes my airp---
POOPY! PLEASE WIPE ME!
Mama--MAMA--
MOMMY!

*

Swap out that "made this in school" part for "Pokemon, this, Pokemon, that" from Noah.... Swap out the "wipe me" for the "I had an accident!!" as Lucy and I potty train all week, and just add Quinn's general penchant for mischief, and this lovely piece basically nails it. All of it. I'm totally in love with this whole slim volume of poems by Sarah Dunning Park, who subtitles her book, "Honest poems for mothers of small children." The book came in the mail mid-week on one of the longest mama-weeks of my life thus far, and it was not a moment too soon. There's something about feeling the kinship and empathy of others going through it alongside you that help you muster a second, third, fourth wind in the middle of this mayhem. This beautifully messy, complicated, hard, painful, frustrating, joyful, loving mayhem. 

*

Five For Friday, yo--- who's in? Message me, comment, Facebook me your link if you participate and I'll add it here. Fun times! Happy Easter weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. I just love that poem! And, of course, the musical references :)

    Potty training! What a patience-demanding time. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan