Slider

Who's Still Letting Me Carry This Adult Card Over Here???

Wednesday, April 6, 2016



Just today, I:
  • Wore my pajamas and no bra to Lucy's preschool dropoff. 
  • With three-day unwashed hair in a bandanna, not even put into "hide-the-scary" little ponytails. Just barely-contained Medusa tentacles under a raggedy old bandana. 
  •  Slumped into the soft, dangerous corner of my couch under a quilt and put on three (or was it four) DVR'ed PBS cartoons in succession for Quinn while I fell asleep, not ready to face the grey rain and the work and the sheer HARDNESS of life today.  
  • Finally opened a Nelnet student loan financial statement from my stack of mail, to see what they were hounding me about, since I'd let probably three months' worth of their mail come and then go straight into the "to file" stack without looking at them. CLASSIC avoidance. 
  • Ate two Samoas for my mandated diabetes snacktime instead of something with health value to it. 
  • Sorted a pile of mail that included requests for property tax to be paid, a car to be registered, and some Noah appendicitis medical bills to be settled. All from at least two months ago. 
  • And still didn't actually DO any of those things they are requesting of me.
  • Let the kids play iPad games after Lucy's preschool pickup so I could have a silent-scream emotional breakdown about all things financial. 
  • Finally ordered three client books that were from sessions IN THE FALL, because once pregnancy hit at the end of December, I've been pretty dang worthless with major projects and deadlines in general. 
  • Felt more than a few waves of irrational, hormonal anxiety wash over me over the well-being of this 18-weeker in my tummy, letting the anxiety overtake everything else. 
  • Ate more jelly beans than my carb allowance permitted, because I was on hold with a billing company and stressing about it. 
  • Walked past at least 6 long-term piles of STUFF, multiple times, that just need to get handled for gosh' sakes, but are easier to continue to walk past. 
You guys. This is just today.

And yes, I am coming at this from the flawed perspective of a very hormonal, more-than-slightly-irrational pregnant lady... But still. COME ON. How am I 38 and still so bad at so many things? How are people still trusting me to be an ADULT for so many things? I CANNOT GET MY SH*T TOGETHER. At all. Ever.

I am really just a mess, trying to fake my way through adulthood.

 I am good at: Artistic things. People skills. Singing in harmony. Sleeping. Making sweets. I think that's probably it.

But other than that.... I am really just a big, HUGE mess.

Usually, I can take that and run with it in a positive direction--- focus on all the ways my strengths help make the world a (better? well at least a PRETTIER) place. Focus on how we are all making progress even when it doesn't feel like it. Focus on how maybe me being a mess is a good thing to share with others to help them feel less alone... 

But I'm just not there today. Not in the "how can I learn from this? How can I look at it in a better light?" place. I'll get there. Or I'll have a really really excellent day soon and this haunting, yucky feeling of being SO BAD at SO MUCH will fade to just a tiny hum in the background again. 

At least until the tax man comes knocking, or I get pulled over for expired plates. 

Because I'm overdue for both of those. 

Ha. 

*sob*

So here, guys--- take my Adult Card. Someone come make me a sandwich and rub my back and make it so that I don't owe money anywhere and someone help me figure out how to just do fun, creative things  and not have to keep the plates spinning otherwise. Help my kids only be cute and snuggly, saying only funny clever things, and help me to just be free from my own stifling expectations finally. I'll make you a cake if you can do these things for me. Cakes, I can do. 

Adulting, I cannot.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, but yesterday Dad and I failed at using a simple saw for what should have been some basic woodworking.

    And I overslept this morning and was 90 minutes late to work. I'll shred my adult card as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not good at the creative, pretty things but can rock a filing system. Want to trade services?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pretty much just described my day. Except no school/preschool it's spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear - we're all faking this adulthood until we somehow fake it :-(. And I totally feel ya, with my last I was so sick that I literally lived on the couch while on modified bed rest & had to deal with a possibly ill fetus (up until 32 weeks it was thought she had heart defect). So believe me when I tell you I know it's hard but you got this mama! Make Joe deal with the financial stuff & everything else is gravy, far worse things then PBS & iPad games ;-). *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love you and I love your creative boho side intensely. When you are ready for a get-a-grip friend, you let me know. Because you can do this. You are an adult and can be in control at least 37% of the time. But until then, jelly beans for all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post. I'm really "just a mess" too. This morning I taught my son about road rage BY EXAMPLE. Dishes and laundry are piled up. My kitchen floor is sticky. My bedroom is a wreck. And I'm on the couch with my morning sickness trying to stop feeling guilty while also avoiding the perfect pictures on Instagram of all the people who have it together. Wish there were more people in my feed who dared to keep it real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have children. I've been on holiday from school for the last two weeks. I have dishes to be washed, laundry to be done and I have yet to do a single thing that I need to for school on Monday. My flat is a mess. I am hopeless at paperwork and record keeping, which is a giant obstacle to my teaching career (I'm awesome at being with children, but I'm awful at document keeping). I have looked at the things I need to do at least 3 times a day every day for the last two weeks, but am at a loss of where to start to get things done. Which I need to as I am due to have surgery in the next couple of months and I need to be on top of things. I suck at being an adult - please don't think you're alone! This too shall pass and you will come out of the other side. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan